Sinus pressure can be debilitating. When pressure radiates from inside your sinuses, there’s no easy remedy for relief. The symptoms can make focusing while at work difficult and can even lead to depression. At Ress ENT in Boca Raton, FL, we regularly treat the symptoms of sinus pressure. Our esteemed ENT physician, Dr. Bradford Ress, and our skilled team of allergy specialists and audiologists are ready to address any of your medical problems related to sinus pressure.
Common Causes of Sinus Pressure
During your consultation at our Boca Raton dental office, Dr. Ress will perform a thorough examination of your sinuses to determine the cause of your sinus pressure. There are multiple potential causes of pressure in the sinuses. Often, allergens, viruses, and bacterial infections are the root cause. These pathogens and pollen cause the nasal passages to swell, which reduces or blocks airflow. The blood vessels that line the inside of the nose can swell, causing further inflammation.
Patients experience this physical change as sinus pressure. The pressure is often accompanied by:
- Ear pain
- Sore throat
Other causes of sinus pressure include:
- Deviated septum: If the nasal septum is crooked, it could result in the blockage of sinus passages or lead to sinus infections. The condition is very common among adults.
- Nasal polyps: Polyps grow on the mucous membranes inside the sinuses and can create blockages. Polyps will need to be removed before balloon sinuplasty can be performed.
- Sinusitis: When sinuses remain inflamed for two weeks or more, it can be a sign of sinusitis. Dr. Ress will evaluate your sinuses to determine if you have sinusitis or chronic sinusitis.
- Narrow sinuses: The size of sinus cavities is partly determined by genetics.
- Overuse of nasal decongestants: Overuse of certain forms of nasal sprays can result in swelling and stuffiness. This is one reason why patients should not overuse nasal sprays that contain certain chemicals. Dr. Ress can advise nasal sprays that are safe to use.
Treatments for Sinus Pressure
If allergens are suspected as the cause of your sinus pressure, we will set an appointment with our allergy specialist. Our office offers multiple immunotherapies, including allergy shots and allergy drops.
For cases of recurring sinusitis or chronic sinusitis, Dr. Ress often recommends safe and effective balloon sinuplasty. The minimally invasive surgery removes excess fluids and mucus in your sinus cavities while expanding the size of your sinus cavities. The treatment begins with the use of local and possibly general anesthesia.
Once you are comfortable, Dr. Ress will insert a guide wire with a tiny balloon attached to the end through one of your nostrils. Once the balloon has reached the area of blockage, the balloon will be gently inflated. The last step entails using a saline rinse to flush debris from the affected area and removing the balloon. The outpatient procedure takes around one hour to complete. Most patients report little to no discomfort associated with the procedure.
Treat Your Sinus Pressure in Boca Raton
The treatments offered at our medical office are proven to deliver longterm relief from sinus pressure. To schedule your next visit, contact our Boca Raton, FL office online or call (561) 353-7377.