If you’ve become used to chronic sinus pressure and congestion, know that you have advanced treatment options. For many patients who cannot find relief in over-the-counter medications, a balloon sinuplasty is an innovative and minimally invasive procedure that can give you long-term relief from chronic sinusitis.
If you are suffering from chronic sinusitis in Boca Raton, FL and want to explore advanced treatment options, contact Ress ENT, your Boca Raton Sinus Center. A member of our staff can coordinate your consultation with Dr. Bradford Ress, MD.
What are the symptoms of chronic sinusitis?
Sinusitis, or a sinus infection, is a common condition that affects millions of Americans each year. However, for patients suffering from chronic infection and inflammation of the sinuses, many over-the-counter medications or traditional treatments do not provide enough relief. Chronic sinusitis is defined as a sinus infection that lasts for a minimum of three months. Most commonly, sinusitis symptoms include:
- Mucus buildup in the nose and nasal passageways
- Thick discharge from the nose
- Consistent drainage in the back of the throat
- Difficulty breathing through the nose
- Tenderness or pain around the eyes and forehead
Additional symptoms may include: sore throat, ear pain or congestion, cough and chest congestion or pain in the upper teeth and jaw.
What is a balloon sinuplasty?
Balloon sinuplasty offers relief for patients with the above symptoms, and is best suited for those whom Dr. Ress has determined are good candidates for advanced chronic sinusitis treatment. This treatment method offers a safe, minimally invasive way to remove mucus and sinus build-up and widen the sinus passageways to improve breathing ability and prevent future congestion and infection. The procedure can be completed in our Boca Raton office, and has minimal recovery time.
During the procedure, Dr. Ress inserts a “balloon catheter” into the sinus and inflates it to widen the sinus passageway. Then, a safe saline solution is used to flush out the infection and mucus inside the sinus. The catheter is removed, leaving a clean sinus cavity, and a wider sinus opening. Compared to traditional sinuplasty or surgery, the balloon sinuplasty is less invasive and has minimal pain and recovery time.
Who is a good candidate for treatment?
Candidates include patients who suffer from chronic sinusitis, who do not experience significant relief from traditional sinus infection medication or treatments. Dr. Ress will provide an examination and review your personal health history to determine whether or not this procedure is right for you.
What are the short-term and long-term benefits?
Patients with chronic sinus infections can experience several benefits by choosing to undergo the balloon sinuplasty treatment. These include:
- A less invasive procedure than traditional sinus surgery: No incisions are made, and bleeding and discomfort levels are typically minimal.
- Long-term pain and symptom relief: Recent studies following patients after the procedure show that many experience positive results up to two years afterwards.
- Average in-office treatment time of less than two hours
- Average recovery time of two days: You can be back at work and back to living your life normally in about two days.
- No limitations on future treatment options: Balloon sinuplasty doesn’t affect your ability to undergo additional treatments in the future, if needed.
How do I learn more?
If you are interested in the dramatic treatment effects of balloon sinuplasty, please schedule a consultation with Dr. Bradford Ress of Ress ENT. He can determine your candidacy for the procedure, as well as answer specific treatment questions you may have. Contact a member of our staff at (561) 353-7377.